Amatsu
Guild
Blackout Staff
IGN
Wolfie
Discord
Wolfie#5325
Hello friends!

Recently I have received a few messages about Battlegrounds with respect to team joining. The common complaint is the ability to choose your team is causing games to be one-sided, as new players are often bundled together.

In Open Beta Testing, we tried both randomly assigning teams and picking teams. The latter option was more successful. However, the current situation is different, as there are many new and returning players wanting to try things out, whereas previously BG participants were all mostly the same group of regulars.

My questions in regards to this,
  • Is this (being able to pick your team) a problem?
  • If yes, can you propose a solution?
  • Does the solution create a new problem?
Thank you. Our intention with Battlegrounds is to create a fun, rewarding experience. Feedback is appreciated.
- Wolfie, Administrator

Jack

Here to help
Server Management Team
12-Sep, 16
Australia
Guild
Generic
IGN
Shoe Shiner/RuthIess
Is this (being able to pick your team) a problem?

Yes

If yes, can you propose a solution?

Duo queue.

everyone queuing can pick someone to be their duo but will be assigned to random teams.

Positive is people still get to play with at least a friend but it won't make too much of a different when bg is 10vs10 or more.

Does the solution create a new problem?

duos being able to carry teams to victory??

Reactions: Nobody
03-Aug, 18
Canada
Guild
Afterschool Tea Time
IGN
Kofuku | Kofu
I'd pref picking teams imo.

I cant deny the fact that it's unfair for someone that you'll be able to choose a side especially for new players but at the same time I think that would be temporary only or won't last long for a while especially when they start gearing up themselves.
I am sure one of the reasons they find it unfair is because it's not fun to die over and over again and feed in BG because they are gearless but like i said eventually they will get fully geared.

And I also think it's fun playing BG with your group of friends which communication and tactics will be applied, instead of playing with randoms in your team.
Battle grounds is a team game anyway, not like PvP, you can't win bg by yourself.

Reactions: Parascythe
02-Sep, 16
Since the BG rank is based on account rather than character, queueing the people based on the rank should be fair for everybody.

01-Nov, 16
Thanks for paying attention.
  • Is this (being able to pick your team) a problem? 100%. You can't do something against an organized comp (DPS, Pally, and Support). It's just straight up unplayable. Some players (like myself) just play it for badges, so if you can't beat them, join them.
  • If yes, can you propose a solution? Didn't think about a solution til jack mentioned duo queue. If this will take time to implement, I suggest just randomize teams for now.
  • Does the solution create a new problem? A very select few who only BGs because their team is camping. But then again, there are a lot of people who will continue to play BG even if team assignment is completely random.

Last edited:
Reactions: CancerKid

CancerKid

Elite Forum Member
I concur with Nobody. Random queing should be fine as of the moment to prevent one sided games. BG after all should not be more on a competetive level where you need a roster to win every game. Individual skills will be honed to synergize with other random teammates.

15-Jul, 16
In my opinion, even though the regulars/friends would stick together in a team it is still not a guaranteed win.
In fact me and my friends would stick together and we still lose sometimes.
Its also a good way to teach new / returning players on how the current meta works and practice their skills to prepare for WoE and improve their PVP skills by letting them face the grouped regulars. I think we can fix the class distribution instead like do not give the enemy team 4 pallies,linked bios and an army of snipers. Its just hard to win with that lineup.

Add:
Another solution I can suggest is to offer additional badges to the player if they would play on the other team like "There are too many Paladins in this team. Would you like to play on the other team for additional X Badges?"

Last edited:

Coojo

Sorry Eh?
Former Staff Member
03-May, 17
Canadia
IGN
Coojo

Yes.
    1) When there is an old player base that knows each other for over a year+ they tend to start teaming up together. When there are new people joining who don't know as many players/players of the same skill caliber, the end result is lop sided more often than not as the more geared and experienced players tend to group together.
    2) There are a few players who i believe are using a 2nd computer to place an AFK character on the opposite team and joining the other to gain an advantage before the game even starts. (Edit: this is really only applicable to KvM)

1) I think if we're going to prioritize fairness and balance over all else, its probably best to leave the selection process completely randomized. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
    2) Let only the first few players joining pick which team they're on. This has the bonus effect of expediting the starting process when things are a bit slow.

1a) Reverting back to randomization will still lead to uneven teams, but less frequently.
    1b) This might result in less people playing BG if they don't have the same amount of fun playing with randoms as they would with people they're friendly with.

2a) It's still possible to have some friends play together and unbalance the team if they join together really quickly.
    2b) Implementing this sounds moderately complicated compared to the alternatives.

Edit: Redundant information removed.

Last edited:
22-Sep, 16
Battlegrounds
Guild
Regalia
There is nothing wrong about team picking. Battleground is about Teamwork as well. There is nothing wrong about friends deciding to team up together, it makes the game fun. People just need to step their game up so they wont get shi**** on. Holy! so many complains. Just play the game and get good at it. Step your team game up bois/gals! I was a BG regular and I think BG is good as it is. I dont want to go back to that old shitty BG system from years ago.

Last edited:
03-Aug, 18
Canada
Guild
Afterschool Tea Time
IGN
Kofuku | Kofu
There is nothing wrong about team picking. Battleground is about Teamwork as well. There is nothing wrong about friends deciding to team up together, it makes the game fun. People just need to step their game up so they wont get shi**** on. Holy! so many complains. Just play the game and get good at it. Step your team game up bois/gals! I was a BG regular and I think BG is good as it is. I dont want to go back to that old shitty BG system from years ago.
What I'm saying.

Reactions: Parascythe

Coojo

Sorry Eh?
Former Staff Member
03-May, 17
Canadia
IGN
Coojo
How about when people use a 2nd computer to put an AFK player on the opposite team? Its not only about the imbalance of player skill, there's more to it.

22-Sep, 16
Battlegrounds
Guild
Regalia
How about when people use a 2nd computer to put an AFK player on the opposite team? Its not only about the imbalance of player skill, there's more to it.
i thought there was an auto kicker program for AFK players? lol. And i dont think thats the issue right now.

01-Nov, 16
Not really an issue of players being bad at the game. When the other team has a full comp and you have all DPS classes because you're not teaming up with other players, BG is just broken. Not to mention the server just launched and less geared players using auto assign and getting camped in the portal doesn't really help.

Last edited:
17-Nov, 16
Philippines
Guild
Izludian
IGN
[SL] Catriona
In my own opinion, i think you better to turn off the option to pick what team would you like to join in BG for the MEAN time, since there are lots of new and returning players, let's them give an ample time to catch up and get some items of their own. I suggest give them a month or two, and then after that try to run a test again with a BG that have options to pick what team do they like.

- everyone is hungry for a win.. but not everyone have the capacity and capability to do so because they felt too short of the items.. it's enjoyable to play with someone we know and someone we trusted but lets face the fact that we also need to help the new and returning ones. Thank you and more power.

- Cy

CancerKid

Elite Forum Member
‘Old shitty BG system from years ago’ where you can still pick sides, how is that different from now? All they did today is just add game modes in order for it to not be repetetive.

Also, what we are addressing here is the collective good and not just sheer complains. I understand this concern raised by the devs and it should be dealt accordingly with well thought opinions and not just opinions based on personal gain.

Aeris

Former Staff Member
08-Sep, 16
IGN
Aeris
Is this (being able to pick your team) a problem?

Yes

If yes, can you propose a solution?

Duo queue.

everyone queuing can pick someone to be their duo but will be assigned to random teams.

Positive is people still get to play with at least a friend but it won't make too much of a different when bg is 10vs10 or more.

Does the solution create a new problem?

duos being able to carry teams to victory??
Basically took the words out of my mouth. I still think if duo-queue is implemented, randomization should stay rather than having players pick a team.

22-Sep, 16
Battlegrounds
Guild
Regalia
Remove the 5m fee in BG when you get disconnected.

Regards,
All BG Players
Post automatically merged:

‘Old shitty BG system from years ago’ where you can still pick sides, how is that different from now? All they did today is just add game modes in order for it to not be repetetive.

Also, what we are addressing here is the collective good and not just sheer complains. I understand this concern raised by the devs and it should be dealt accordingly with well thought opinions and not just opinions based on personal gain.
you dont even go to BG you dont know sht.

29-Jul, 18
Hello friends!

Recently I have received a few messages about Battlegrounds with respect to team joining. The common complaint is the ability to choose your team is causing games to be one-sided, as new players are often bundled together.

In Open Beta Testing, we tried both randomly assigning teams and picking teams. The latter option was more successful. However, the current situation is different, as there are many new and returning players wanting to try things out, whereas previously BG participants were all mostly the same group of regulars.

My questions in regards to this,
Thank you. Our intention with Battlegrounds is to create a fun, rewarding experience. Feedback is appreciated.
- Wolfie, Administrator
First off, I really like how you address current issues that the servers are experiencing and with that alone you have my respect.
Now, on the topic, I see that there are definitely good points in leaving BG system as it is (being able to pick sides) and changing it for the BG system to be more friendly towards newbie, or someone like me who choose to play alone.
I honestly think that it is a problem. Since, as mentioned several times in this thread already that there are people who are new to the game and will find it hard to win due to the pioneers already teaming up together. But removing that option will definitely affect people who like to play competitively with their friends which, of course, makes the players more active in a larger scale compared to playing solo.
I have a proposition. Since we cannot deny the fact that the current BG system creates a problem with regard to teaming and there will definitely be groups of people in the server that will be discouraged to play BG due to the random match making, which limits the competitiveness of the BG system, I'd say we put a certain time frame to the system where it would activate the option to pick teams or match people randomly. That way we have both options available in the same BG system.
The only thing that I am thinking if ever we are to implement this is the availability of the players as a team and as a solo player. If we are to set a specific time where the BG system would allow people to pick their teams or assign teams randomly, surely there will be people who will be affected depending on their schedule. Some players may not be available to play during a certain period of the day (for instance, at work or at school) where the random picking is active and they can only play during the hours where teaming up is enabled then it could still be like playing solo in the present BG system where random people are forced to be put up against premade team.

Hence, I would like to add that we can adjust it in a certain set of intervals where the options can be available all through out the day. For example, BG will allow teaming for the next 2 hours then the next 2 hours will be random match making and would cycle all through out the day. Or we can make the BG system run all available match modes first (KVM, Rush, Team deathmatch) then when it cycles through all the match modes, then it will run the same match modes again but this time allowing players to pick their teams, where once done, it will be back to random match making.

Anyway, that was quite a bit long but thank you for those who took the time reading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)