News: Important Server Announcement - Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcar

Lover of Woman
Former Staff Member
Hello!

As some of you might have noticed, there's been a lack of new content lately, and in general things have slowed down around here. The main reason is this:

Wolfie and I are tired.

Specifically, in my case, I've been struggling to stay engaged in the server for quite some time. I've got a growing family to take care of, a full-time job to work at, a 2-hour daily commute to endure, an elderly parent to care for, and a house to maintain, not to mention any number of other things that demand my time. More than that though, after a few weeks of dealing with some acute anxiety issues, I've finally admitted to myself that my desire to continue pushing things forward is now gone. I don't know exactly when it left me, but it's not coming back.

As for Wolfie, he's been dealing with his own issues as well, the largest of which is the fact that he's now in college and needs to focus on his studies. He may be able to help out again at some unspecified point a few years down the line, but has told me that he's unable to continue at the current time.

So where does that leave the server? Obviously, there's still a number of people still around and on the staff team, and the server itself is stable and has a pile of donated funds as well as some other assets. We on the staff team talked things over, and decided that the following were the options available:
1. We find someone who wants to take ownership/responsibility for running the server, and pass it to them immediately with a little training. Wolfie and I continue to manage the PayPal accounts, providing payments and information on balances whenever needed.
2. We find someone who wants to take ownership/responsibility for running the server, and take the server down for a time while they prepare to take over. At a later time, they bring the server back up again with fanfare. Wolfie and I continue to manage the PayPal accounts, providing payments and information on balances whenever needed.
3. We simply let the server remain as-is in perpetuity, keeping it online in its current state until such time as the money runs out.
4. We close up shop entirely, and donate the remainder of the server funds to charities of the remaining players' choices.
For options 1 and 2, it was pointed out that a new owner may not be willing to let us continue managing the funds. In this case, we would set aside some seed money for the new owner to use and donate the rest to charity. When we first set out on the rebuild effort, it was with the understanding that any and all funds would be used either a) for server development/maintenance or b) donated to charity. To this day, I have honored that commitment by not taking any funds for myself (except as necessary to pay US taxes on the server income). I am not willing to turn over the entirety of the funds to a new owner since there's no guarantee that they would put the funds to their original purpose; I feel like it would be a betrayal of all those who donated to risk someone new simply walking off with them.

When I talked to the staff team, it seemed like the ones willing to carry on were in favor of either option 1 or 2. One of our developers, Pixellius, has even said he would be willing to take up the mantle of leadership, though he too is busy. Alternatively, we would have to pull from whoever of the players are left and are interested. If nobody is found, we would likely default to option 4, since all of us were of the opinion that option 3 is pointless.

In this thread, I'd like to solicit opinions from you, the remaining players. What do you think of the four options above? Do you have a preference? And do you know anyone who would be willing to take on the large responsibility of leading the team and getting the server moving again? Does anyone even still care, or should BlackoutRO be laid to rest for good? Is it worth continuing to run a Ragnarok Online server in 2019? Please let us know your thoughts.

Thank you for everything, and I'm sorry Wolfie and I were unable to do more. We're glad we were at least able to let people have fun again here, for a time.

-redcar

07-Aug, 16
Option 4 would be the most viable option. Let this game be buried in our memories for time immemorial, go on with our own lives. I have already quit this game for years now and those times with the gang at RIP and Zerg Patrol, on our prime days, will be cherished. And whenever you want to relive those days, you can watch our victories and struggles all compiled in my vimeo account @ https://vimeo.com/channels/zergpatrol. Thanks to this server that I've met many great people. - Hosh

Dex

King of Beast
11-May, 16
Guild
Egg
"manage the PayPal accounts"
HOTDOG NI ALJUR @.jpg

Cynosure

Game Master
08-Nov, 16
Phillipines
Guild
Classics, Triggered,
IGN
Cynosure
I'am so sad reading this, I've trying to push bRO to be alive again for some time, hoping that something will happen. If only i know how to handle a server I would've stepped up.

You guys did a great job, Joe and Ryan. This is what we waited for. A decision to either close or continue running the server. In my heart I will go for giving the server to someone capable. But with the current state of Ragnarok Online as a whole, having a community of active and passionate players is really hard. Blackout RO has been left out with RO technology, others are already advanced it is really hard to compete with other servers. In my honest opinion even if we continue the server most people like me will just AFK. I'm really tired of playing Ragnarok, it's like a really toxic relationship. It's not fun anymore, the good old times will just be memories we can't get back. It's time to move on. Donating the funds to charity would be the best option. Though making new content and really trying to get new players is an option, it is really unlikely that this method would save blackout. It will be certain that this server will only survive for a few months and hit rock bottom again.

Still deep inside me wants this server to stay. Just something I can go back to and re-live some the greatness it has. RIP Blackout Ragnarok Online. Here's for option 4 /no1

LEZGOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!
F*CK THIS %#!@, LET'S KEEP ON PUSHING THIS SERVER!!! GIVE THE SERVER TO PIXEL AND WE WILL HELP WITH ANYTHING YOU NEED.

BLACKOUT RAGNAROK ONLINE NAMBAWAN

Reactions: mekoy2016
30-Oct, 17
I'am so sad reading this, I've trying to push bRO to be alive again for some time, hoping that something will happen. If only i know how to handle a server I would've stepped up.

You guys did a great job, Joe and Ryan. This is what we waited for. A decision to either close or continue running the server. In my heart I will go for giving the server to someone capable. But with the current state of Ragnarok Online as a whole, having a community of active and passionate players is really hard. Blackout RO has been left out with RO technology, others are already advanced it is really hard to compete with other servers. In my honest opinion even if we continue the server most people like me will just AFK. I'm really tired of playing Ragnarok, it's like a really toxic relationship. It's not fun anymore, the good old times will just be memories we can't get back. It's time to move on. Donating the funds to charity would be the best option. Though making new content and really trying to get new players is an option, it is really unlikely that this method would save blackout. It will be certain that this server will only survive for a few months and hit rock bottom again.

Still deep inside me wants this server to stay. Just something I can go back to and re-live some the greatness it has. RIP Blackout Ragnarok Online. Here's for option 4 /no1

LEZGOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!
F*CK THIS %#!@, LET'S KEEP ON PUSHING THIS SERVER!!! GIVE THE SERVER TO PIXEL AND WE WILL HELP WITH ANYTHING YOU NEED.

Yea please make it this way :(

15-Jul, 16
I'm gonna miss this cancerous community and the drama but I think it's time to move on.
download.png

22-May, 16
Australia
IGN
Nihonbashi
I think it's time to rest and let this be a good memory we could reminisce about in the future.

13-May, 16
Pull the plug.

08-Nov, 16
Cyno said,

LEZGOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!

Sky

10-Jun, 16
Guild
Hugs
IGN
Insult, Skybound
dude @#&% the charities, just keep the money and split it

17-Jun, 19
*Sigh* This is just...I played this server years ago before the fated server crash and we lost nearly all of it the last time. And I JUST found it a few weeks ago! Finding it up and running I was elated because I could never find a server like it. I admit it's lacking in players. I admit is a little behind. I admit you can't do much more or don't have time or just tired of running it. But damnit I JUST GOT MY ACCOUNT BACK! I am greatly in favor of option one two and three but I do NOT want to see this go down again when I JUST got back ON and as I said nothing has been as fun as blackout for me. I wish I had the resources to run the server myself! But I don't. I would rather it stay as is without it updating if it meant it stayed online indefinitely. PLEASE don't let it go down again. Keep searching for a new leader to run it. I'm happy if they know what they are doing and can keep it up. But I implore you to not take the server down all over again. T.T

• Sad
Reactions: Wolfie
25-Aug, 16
Kindly pass it to Pixellius if he is really interested and determined to revive it again, but he might need your help and support first to do that.. Yeah, you can divide the remaining funds though, half would go to Red car and Wolfie for taking care and maintaining of the server, and the other half must go to the new admin (Pixellius or any Credible one) to continue operating and developing the server... We have donated and agreed in terms of the funds will go in running the server and not for the charity. Its a different thing! Thank you for doing your best guys but I hope it will not be the end of visiting our home!

Cynosure

Game Master
08-Nov, 16
Phillipines
Guild
Classics, Triggered,
IGN
Cynosure
Kindly pass it to Pixellius if he is really interested and determined to revive it again, but he might need your help and support first to do that.. Yeah, you can divide the remaining funds though, half would go to Red car and Wolfie for taking care and maintaining of the server, and the other half must go to the new admin (Pixellius or any Credible one) to continue operating and developing the server... We have donated and agreed in terms of the funds will go in running the server and not for the charity. Its a different thing! Thank you for doing your best guys but I hope it will not be the end of visiting our home!
Just logged in and saw how hopeless bRO is. It still has a chance but I doubt it'll work. I've tried talking to people who can take the position as admin, but all of them are either busy or lazy. Best we can do is hope for someone to save bRO though it is really impossible with its current state.

@Pixellius If you're down I'll be willing to help the best I can. I have still have 2 months of vacation and my subjects aren't really demanding too much of my time.

18-Jun, 19
Shame really ... this was one of the best servers i've known but it has been a very long time since i logged into this particular one, i can't offer to take the ownership of the server because i'm no expert when it comes to the game itself but i'll be glad to offer any kind of technical help maintenance, upgrade or anything else to whomever decides to take the ownership.

Don't lose hope !

14-Nov, 17
Philippines

LEZGOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!

Lets take the risk /no1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)