Amatsu
Guild
Blackout Staff
IGN
Wolfie
Discord
Wolfie#5325
Welcome back! Changes since OBT.

Welcome back! This post is directed towards those who played the server during Open Beta Testing (OBT). If you did not play OBT or are new to the server, please wait a few days, we have another announcement coming specifically for you.

This thread will explain the differences of now versus then. Since the server closed on December 12, 2017, there have been a number of changes. If words scare you, run away now!

What is new since OBT?

In some ways, not a lot. In others, quite a bit.

Firstly, some general things.
  • Your old files are no good, throw them out. Everybody is required to download the newest installer which will be released some time in the next week.
  • We are using a slightly more updated client version. New features which were not previously available:
    • RODEX (RO Delivery Express) replaces the mailbox system. All items and zeny which were in transit have been sent to the intended recipient's storage.
    • Character sex is chosen at the character creation process.
  • Storage capacity has increased to 1000 (from 600).

/dangeroussoulcollect The Universal Skill Delay is now 65ms. What does this mean? Previously, you would have noticed the delay between using skills (even ones without cooldown) was shorter in PVP than everywhere else. This is no more. It is now the same quick speed everywhere. Hooray! What does the magic number '65' imply? It was the value used in old BlackoutRO.

On that note, our game development will look to follow the magic ratio of 3 pieces fun to 2 bits balance. No point making a game that isn't fun to play!

/donationcredit The Donation Credit Store has completely changed. Brace yourself, this will likely be the most contentious item. We, the entire Staff Team, decided the concept of using real money to buy in-game items which affect gameplay is unethical. An obvious argument against this change is the hypocrisy of originally allowing it to take place. The rot must stop to start anew - that is all I have to say about it.

The entire former shop list has been removed. In its place are costumes and small luxury items. We made our best effort to avoid items with effects. That means no more Donation Credit = Angel Ripper, Tao Gunka Card, etc.

However, those items are now all obtainable through regular in-game means. In addition, the other items which were rental only (such as Gothic Ribbon, Holy Essence, Drooping Wild Rose) are now also available.

/rentalticket To aid new players, the Rental System will continue. A new feature is the ability to choose your length of time to rent an item, anywhere from 1-4 weeks. However, as was mentioned way back in 2016, it is not a permanent fixture. Eventually, and it will be made very clear when it is happening, the Rental System in its current form will be removed.

Along with the rentals are a new set of equipment which will be immediately available to every player. The items in this set are lesser versions of what many would consider to be standard equipment. For example, Deviruchi Wings may give +10% ATK, the lesser version 7%.

/minigamecredit Automated events are no more, in its place: the Mini-Game System. The Mini-Game System allows a group of three players to start any of the available Mini-Games at their leisure. There are a few limiters/conditions in place:
  • No two Mini-Games (referred to as games for this section) can overlap.
  • When a game finishes,
    • That same finished game cannot be played for 120 minutes.
    • No other game will be able to start for 15 minutes.
  • If no game starts for three hours, one will be randomly force started.
  • Located at amatsu 200 200 is the Mini-Game Center, which will take you to the game maps.

/goldcoin The Coin Exchange system has also been deprecated. All items, most of which were spell scrolls, are now a part of the Mini-Game Credit Store (located in the Item Redeeming Services NPC at amatsu 241 214). Those with leftover coins, which I imagine is 90% of OBT players, you can either sell them to an NPC (750k GC/150k SC) or exchange them at the old Coin Exchange NPC for Mini-Game Credits (10 GC = 1 MGC).

/bowlingbashRemoval of "Classic Mode". Try to follow this one, it may sound complicated. In August last year, we introduced a PVP Arena called "Classic PVP". In it, every mechanic would try its best to emulate how things behaved in the old BlackoutRO (i.e. <=2015). In some ways it was successful, as it was enjoyed by the majority, in others a complete failure, as it segregated the community.

So we just removed it? Not quite.
  • Customized items had separate item scripts depending on whether you were in Classic or Normal. All items now follow the same script, regardless of where you are (unless specifically stated in its description).
  • Skills have been split in to two categories:
    • PVP.
    • Everywhere else.
  • Skill behavior will be documented on both our to-be-launched Wiki and in skill descriptions.
The rationale behind this move is the feedback provided by OBT players, in particular those who played in the last 3 months of its lifespan. To paraphrase one player, "we've played the same PVP for 10 years and have never grown tired of it", in some ways that wheel did not need to be reinvented.

We still wish to push forward in other areas. PVP will improve through innovation, not change.

/angelripper When it comes to a few items, in particular Angel Ripper, 3D Glasses and Retribution Wings, effects have been changed to closer reflect old BlackoutRO (pre-2016).

/legacycredit In addition, the old 10x Credit Legacy Credit accessories (i.e. Galahad's Impurity, Glove of Orion, etc.) have been removed from that store. All the credits spent on them have been refunded to the owners and the cards were placed in their storage. The items still exist, however, they now boast negative effects and will be available through Mini-Game Credits.

/basicskills Skills/mechanics! We used all the the feedback and criticism received in OBT as a reflection on what we, the development team, wanted from the game. A lot of the changes made during OBT have been retained, some dropped, however, a certain combination [/roguespirit + /stripshield] has been put behind us, and may it rest in peace. You will be able to study skills and mechanics on our soon to launch Wiki.

MVP tomb system was removed.

/? And some other stuff I forgot.

Front End Concerns

Great news! We finally have a website, it will launch some time in the next week. Along with it will be our Wiki, Control Panel and Ticket System. The Wiki will be used to document BlackoutRO's uniqueness, while the other two can be used to recover accounts in the days preceding launch.

Early Access

We will be running an early access period of 1-2 days in length, start time TBA. The intention is to check everything is where it should be and ensure the server is in top shape for the public! It will only be available to OBT players who last logged in any time on or after June 1, 2017. All progress made during this period will be rolled back, with one exception.

Remember the Deviruchi Capes? Every early access player who plays for at least one hour in that 1-2 day period will receive a Deviruchi Cape upon relaunch. To those who are ineligible to receive one, do not worry, the item is a costume which offers no effects, and will be available during very special events in the future. All of the original capes handed out in OBT have been removed.

Details regarding early access will be made clear in two announcements time.

Questions?

I will try to answer questions you want to throw at me over the next few days while this thread remains open. I may not have time to answer them all, but I will do my best!

- Wolfie, Administrator

Recent Important Posts:
Now Recruiting Community Leaders and Developers
(Applications close August 4)

Cynosure

Game Master
08-Nov, 16
Phillipines
Guild
Classics, Triggered,
IGN
Cynosure
Soooo Excited for the Official Launch. Good Job staff <3
Post automatically merged:

Why did you remove the Tomb System? I see no problem keeping it.
Also what is this,1533130577742.png is it the prize?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolfie

Wolfie

Developer
04-May, 16
Amatsu
Guild
Blackout Staff
IGN
Wolfie
Discord
Wolfie#5325
Soooo Excited for the Official Launch. Good Job staff <3
Post automatically merged:

Why did you remove the Tomb System? I see no problem keeping it.
Also what is this,View attachment 3426 is it the prize?
The Tomb system was removed to give control to those who choose to dedicate their lives to the way of the MVP.
The number is the approximate amount of minutes before the Mini-Game can start again.

Cynosure

Game Master
08-Nov, 16
Phillipines
Guild
Classics, Triggered,
IGN
Cynosure
The Tomb system was removed to give control to those who choose to dedicate their lives to the way of the MVP.
The number is an approximate timer before the Mini-Game can start again.
Oh I thought 80m meant 80million zeny.
BTW where can we get Rippers/RabbitHat etc. Last year you said you'll make it a quest item.

Coojo

Sorry Eh?
Former Staff Member
03-May, 17
Canadia
IGN
Coojo
  • Storage capacity has increased to 1000 (from 600).
Thank you RO Jesus. Is the @guildstorage expanded as well?
The Universal Skill Delay is now 65ms. What does this mean? Previously, you would have noticed the delay between using skills (even ones without cooldown) was shorter in PVP than everywhere else. This is no more. It is now the same quick speed everywhere. Hooray! What does the magic number '65' imply? It was the value used in old BlackoutRO.
Wonderful! Is the palliative limit still in effect?
/donationcredit The Donation Credit Store has completely changed. Brace yourself, this will likely be the most contentious item. We, the entire Staff Team, decided the concept of using real money to buy in-game items which affect gameplay is unethical. An obvious argument against this change is the hypocrisy of originally allowing it to take place. The rot must stop to start anew - that is all I have to say about it.

The entire former shop list has been removed. In its place are costumes and small luxury items. We made our best effort to avoid items with effects. That means no more Donation Credit = Angel Ripper, Tao Gunka Card, etc.

However, those items are now all obtainable through regular in-game means. In addition, the other items which were rental only (such as Gothic Ribbon, Holy Essence, Drooping Wild Rose) are now also available.
I personally feel a bit tentative about this whole thing, but as you put it yourself " the concept of using real money to buy in-game items which affect gameplay is unethical." This is in the best interests of the server as a whole.
Are the xSplit and xBlack Dark Helm going to be available through regular in game means too?

/rentalticket To aid new players, the Rental System will continue. A new feature is the ability to choose your length of time to rent an item, anywhere from 1-4 weeks. However, as was mentioned way back in 2016, it is not a permanent fixture. Eventually, and it will be made very clear when it is happening, the Rental System in its current form will be removed.

Along with the rentals are a new set of equipment which will be immediately available to every player. The items in this set are lesser versions of what many would consider to be standard equipment. For example, Deviruchi Wings may give +10% ATK, the lesser version 7%.
The rental system most definitely needed to be revamped. I know far too many people who relied on the rental system for far too long. Myself included. I dont think i've ever actually owned an xSide.
/angelripper When it comes to a few items, in particular Angel Ripper, 3D Glasses and Retribution Wings, effects have been changed to closer reflect old BlackoutRO (pre-2016).
I've heard that the xRipper from the old days was more effective that the description lead us to believe, is this something that's going to be reflected in these changes or is it going to be something similar to the x3D changes that offer a fixed amount of damage relative to how high the item is refined? Nvm, i figured it out researching the latest "Mandyleaks."
In addition, the old 10x Credit Legacy Credit accessories (i.e. Galahad's Impurity, Glove of Orion, etc.) have been removed from that store. All the credits spent on them have been refunded to the owners and the cards were placed in their storage. The items still exist, however, they now boast negative effects and will be available through Mini-Game Credits.
Once again, thank you RO Jesus.
/basicskills Skills/mechanics! We used all the the feedback and criticism received in OBT as a reflection on what we, the development team, wanted from the game. A lot of the changes made during OBT have been retained, some dropped, however, a certain combination [/roguespirit + /stripshield] has been put behind us, and may it rest in peace. You will be able to study skills and mechanics on our soon to launch Wiki.
For the third and final time this post: Thank you RO Jesus.
MVP tomb system was removed.
This should lead to a variety of different people getting the MvPs as the times can't be planned out as easily. /no1

Last edited:

Wolfie

Developer
04-May, 16
Amatsu
Guild
Blackout Staff
IGN
Wolfie
Discord
Wolfie#5325
BTW where can we get Rippers/RabbitHat etc. Last year you said you'll make it a quest item.
Some will be available through Battlegrounds, others mob drops.

Thank you RO Jesus. Is the @guildstorage expanded as well?
Guild storage has not expanded.

Wonderful! Is the palliative limit still in effect?
It is in effect on non-PVP maps.

Are the xSplit and xBlack Dark Helm going to be available through regular in game means too?
Yes, all the items from the OBT Rental Store will be available.

I've heard that the xRipper from the old days was more effective that the description lead us to believe, is this something that's going to be reflected in these changes or is it going to be something similar to the x3D changes that offer a fixed amount of damage relative to how high the item is refined?
It is true that any item that said "ATK + n%" was more effective in the old days than the description led you to believe. The fact this is not the case anymore has been taken into account. The refine bonuses have been retained for the items which had them, though some of them have changed.

25-Aug, 16
This will be a good idea if the half-android/half-cyborg players such CoAi do not exist anymore. If not, we're totally ripped including new players. (anyway, we can always pray unto RNGesus.)

Jack

Here to help
Server Management Team
12-Sep, 16
Australia
Guild
Generic
IGN
Shoe Shiner/RuthIess
Does PVP maps include or exclude woe/gvg maps?

19-Sep, 16
Illinois, USA
Guild
Royal Club
IGN
Niqve
Sounds great! Odd question, but for us Endless Tower lovers any chance it'll be released on or soon after the intended release date? :D
What about the old Asura rate as well? Is that being reverted?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack

Wolfie

Developer
04-May, 16
Amatsu
Guild
Blackout Staff
IGN
Wolfie
Discord
Wolfie#5325
Sounds great! Odd question, but for us Endless Tower lovers any chance it'll be released on or soon after the intended release date? :D
What about the old Asura rate as well? Is that being reverted?
For Endless Tower, I was not able to finish it. It is not fit to release it in its vanilla state. I am hopeful of more developers coming on board and making it the experience it deserves to be.
For Asura, do you mean the cooldown?

19-Sep, 16
Illinois, USA
Guild
Royal Club
IGN
Niqve
For Endless Tower, I was not able to finish it. It is not fit to release it in its vanilla state. I am hopeful of more developers coming on board and making it the experience it deserves to be.
For Asura, do you mean the cooldown?
Yeah i meant the delay (Think it was an after-cast delay, but maybe it was a cooldown on asura itself), that was added around like 2016? Maybe 2017? Time flies.

Wolfie

Developer
04-May, 16
Amatsu
Guild
Blackout Staff
IGN
Wolfie
Discord
Wolfie#5325
Yeah i meant the delay (Think it was an after-cast delay, but maybe it was a cooldown on asura itself), that was added around like 2016? Maybe 2017? Time flies.
This is a feature of old BlackoutRO implemented in 2013 I believe. The one second cooldown has been removed, but Asura Strike follows the palliative limit system with one second being its limiter. It means the damage can be be reduced by up to 33% if used again within 1 second of its last use. There will be a page on the Wiki dedicated to explaining said system.

Coojo

Sorry Eh?
Former Staff Member
03-May, 17
Canadia
IGN
Coojo
I'm unsure about the Tomb system, if Co Ai plays again we're all done.
If the tomb's aren't there then every time the server restarts he/they will lose their place and it wont be as easy to figure it out until he/they actually find the MvP again. Having no tombs should result in a larger number of people getting the MvPs.

XKuramaYouko

Elite Forum Member
13-Jun, 17
Guild
Phantasm
- Please take a look at adjusting slim potion pitch by decreasing healing penalty through palliative and decreasing sp consumption. New or people wanting to come back won't be able to compete without owning at least 3 bacsojins, 1-2 lord knight cards or creator cards.
- If the Asura cooldown has been removed, what happens to champion card?
- I really like the new donation system. This is honestly very respectable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)